3.18.2008

Got the runs


During my training for the 3 day walk I really started liking that I was exercising everyday and had a scheduled amount of miles that I had to cover in a week. After I was finished doing the three day walk, I started to consider doing a 10K or something since I had only ever done 5K runs. The great thing about training for the walk is it was very easy to find someone to walk with all the time. People are intimidated to run over three miles, I wanted to take on this new goal but didn't know who would do it with me. I am not disiplined enough to do it alone so I needed someone that would take this on with me. My good friend, Andrea, and I got to talking about doing some running this past winter and we both decided we would start training for a half marathon, YIPPY!!!! We had both done a 5K and we thought the 10K just didn't seem impressive enough (we are so extreme) so we thought the half marathon would be doable.

We plan to run the Therapy Works 1/2 Marathon on April 20th and so far training has been great. We ran 8 miles this weekend, over half way to 13.1 ;)
Another run just came up last week that we are also going to do. This one is the Brew to Brew and I keep hearing that it is such a blast to run. It is two 4 mile runs per person. We have 5 people on our team and each person runs about 8 miles total but only 4 at a time. You can read more about it here if you would like but it is pretty much running from the Boulevard Brewery in KC to Free state Brewery in Lawrence using a team of five. The other runners drive to each pick up point and switch out runners. I am almost more excited about this race than the one we are training for, how have I never heard of this run, what a great idea!!!
I have found that I almost have to be training for something or I have no desire to exercise and I have zero motivation. It is pretty funny that I use to hate running when I was younger, I dreaded doing track and field days because of those longer runs (a whopping 1/2 mile run, ugggg). Three legged races were more my thing. I also went out for track just one year in high school and did it just because I thought the guy I was dating would think it is cool. I nearly quit because I hated it so much. Now, it has become kinda a hobby and though I am still not fast, I really am starting to love it minus the knee pain (nothing some frozen beans can't take care of). 13.1 here I come!!!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah Vikkie!
You rock! Now if I could only convince you to get on a bike...you could do a TRI! You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it. :P

Jen Fox said...

I could give you some swim lessons!

Tish said...

dude you should get jen to run with you! she's been looking for buddies to do such things with!

kjl said...

I'll be there cheering you and my hubby on!!

hannah said...

go vikkie go! you are my exercise hero. someday...