7.12.2007

Back in the game


I know several of you are dying to hear how my birthday went with Mr. Brett Wiese this year. As some of you may recall, Brett kinda dropped the ball last year as he told me on the morning of my birthday that he had a conference for work that he had to go to later that night. I thought he was kidding me but he wasn’t and at 6pm that night he took off for the rest of the night. No birthday dinner, nothing. I ended up going to Foo’s (which was wonderful and fun by the way) with some girl friends but it was totally a sympathy birthday, they had no choice but to take me because they felt sorry for me ;) Brett also gave me an ice-cream maker, which I really wanted, but I saw it before he gave it to me so it was not a surprise at all and I love being surprised!!! I have not really forgiven Brett since last year so this was the year to make it up to me ;) I was not sure if he was going to be able to pull it off but I would say he did an exceptional job this year.

I woke up to a fun birthday card and a clue of what my present was:

- Clue One: I could not really wrap this present

Then when I got in my car to go to work another clue was on my steering wheel:

- Clue Two: This gift is not something that you specially asked for

After I received some beautiful flowers from Brett at work. I headed out to lunch I found a clue was taped to the window of my car:

- Clue Three: There has been songs written and movies produced about this gift

I started to put the clues together and I really started to think maybe he was taking me somewhere for my birthday, maybe Omaha, Oklahoma, New York City or Chicago. Yet, I thought it was not in the budget (if any of you know Brett, you know he likes to stick to the budget ;) and even if it was a trip he was just going to tell me that he was going to take me somewhere and then I would end up planning the whole trip. I don’t mind planning trips but lately I have been kinda burnt out on planning personal things since I do it all day at work.

Just before leaving for dinner I got the fourth clue:

- Clue four: Some famous people like this gift, especially Oprah.

I was almost 100% sure I figured it out by now but still kinda worried I was going to be just a bit disappointed when I found out I was going to have to book everything and know how much everything cost, which never makes it fun to travel.

After reading clue four, Brett took me out to dinner at my new favorite restaurant, 1924 Main. This restaurant reminded me of this fun place we went in San Francisco, it was really hip and the food was out of this world good. Brett had even made reservations, which he knows I adore. I am not sure how it started but I really don’t enjoy going to franchise restaurants (mainly, Cheesecake factory, PF Changs and Applebee’s, YUCK). I always prefer to support the smaller local places that are really happy you came in to eat there. 1924 Main was the perfect place for a nice birthday dinner.

Just before we ordered, Brett said: “Vikk, I think I am going to skip the last clue because I think you may be catching on to me”. He handing me an envelope and inside was a confirmation for two airline tickets to Chicago and a four star Hotel reservation that was located in the heart of Chicago. I got teary eyed and was so excited!!! As I started to thank Brett, he started telling me what he has planned for each day, even where we were going to eat and fun places we were going to visit. I was and am THRILLED!!! Any one who knows me well knows I love weekend trips and I love getting out of Kansas. I went to Chicago in January and it was one of the best trips. I can’t wait to go again when it is warm and we can do a bit more and to go with Brett, how fun!!! We leave on Aug 30th (which is our 4 year anniversary) and I can’t wait!!!

Brett, thank you so much, you are defiantly off the hook ;) Love you.

P.s.
I have to mention my second favorite gift so far, it is a blanket that my girl friends Kerry and Sarah got me, I have been snuggling in from the moment I got it, and I love it!!! Thanks Ladies.


6 comments:

hannah said...

so off the hook this year! way to go brett! have fun you two!

kjl said...

That sounds amazing!!! Brett clearly rocks. :) So glad you guys had such a great time!

Allison said...

Wow! Can Brett give Josh lessons??

Anonymous said...

Wow. Way to go, fella! This is the nicest post I have read in weeks.

Rebekah said...

So glad you had such a great birthday - what a perfect day! The restaurant you went to sounds great - I have to go check it out!

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday my sweet :( i'm so horrible with dates. hmph. i owe you!